This recipe is a perfect way to use up bananas that may have gone a little past their best before, but still have all their lovely nutrients and extra sweetness. It makes a delicious breakfast topped with Cacao & Hazelnut Crunchy Spread, vegan yoghurt and berries – a perfect start to the day.
- 3 medium bananas (roughly 350g flesh)
- 60g Naturya coconut oil, melted
- 180g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 120g Naturya coconut sugar
- 30g Naturya Superfood Energy Blend
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 125g dairy-free yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 170°C fan, gas mark 5.
- Base line a 1 kg (2lb) loaf tin.
- Peel the bananas, and slice in half lengthways. Reserve one half and lightly mash the remaining banana flesh with a fork, leaving a few large chunks – these will break down more when you mix into the cake batter.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate together in a large bowl. Stir in the coconut sugar, Functional Energy Blend and chopped walnuts. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour the coconut oil, yoghurt and mashed banana into the well of the dry ingredients then stir to mix the ingredients to a thick cake batter.
- Spoon into the prepared tin. Lay the remaining slice of banana on top and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin and cooling completely on a cooling rack.