If you follow me on my social media channels you’ll know that I love adding superfoods into my cooking every day. Whether it’s adding a super green powder into my smoothie in the morning, using cacao to make nutrient-rich chocolate brownies, or cooking, roasting or frying pretty much anything in coconut oil. You might be doing the same as me, but do you know why it’s important to incorporate chia seeds and goji into your diet?
I’ve teamed up with Naturya to tell you why you should be dusting off your superfoods and cooking up a storm.
The reason superfoods are particularly important to our diet is that they are nutrient dense. We all definitely get enough macro-nutrients...I’m talking protein, carbs and fats (yum!) but what we lack are the micro-nutrients - the vitamins and minerals that are essential for the healthy functioning of our bodies.
Coconut oil contains some of these micro-nutrients that can help your body in a number of different ways. Here are my 5 reasons to start using coconut oil today.
1. Coconut oil contains a very high level of fatty acids, which means that it doesn’t de-nature with heat, keeping it full of it’s awesome nutritional values and making it the perfect cooking oil!
2. I also love using coconut oil in raw desserts or adding a teaspoon into a smoothie before the gym because it contains Medium Chain Triglycerides, which means it’s an amazing natural energy booster - say goodbye to your 4pm coffee and add coconut oil into a nutritious snack.
3. Coconut oil can help keep illness at bay. Yes you heard me...it contains this magical micro-nutrient called Lauric acid which can kill bacteria, funghi and viruses. If you’re feeling down, melt a teaspoon into your chicken soup to help make you feel better.
4. It can moisturise, and improve the condition of damaged hair when applied topically. Not only has coconut oil been hailed by healthy foodies, but when used correctly it make a brilliant natural facial cleanser and hair mask. I love natural beauty and I often smother my body in coconut oil as it’s a brilliant moisturiser. I also take off my makeup with coconut oil, rubbing it all over my face and removing the dirt with a cloth. I’ve also heard that it provides essential nutrients to help repair damaged hair!
5. You can even use coconut oil as mouthwash! It’s been known to help reduce bad breath, destroy bacteria in the mouth and improve dental health.
I love Naturya’s Organic Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil because it’s got a delicious mild flavour (perfect for coconut oil beginners as some oils can taste quite strongly of coconut. It’s raw and cold pressed which is perfect for frying, baking and using as a moisturiser not to mention raw and cold pressed is the most natural form of coconut oil!
My philosophy is all about cramming in not cutting out, and superfoods are similar in the way that they are about adding goodness to your diet - not taking away!
Eating a balanced diet, exercising and adding gorgeous superfoods will help you get the right nutrients you need to unleash your inner Glow Goddess. Get your coconut oil out and check out these two gorgeous recipes that give you an added boost from coconut oil.